Monday, February 11, 2008

Rihanna's Grammy moments UPDATED

Hi,peoples, hope you all had a good weekend. Sorry for the late posting but I was under the weather today and then the internet was crawling along like molasses.

Well, by now you must all know that our girl Rihanna has won her first Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for her hit song, "Umbrella", and she beat out Kanye West, Keyshia Cole, Chris Brown and Akon to do it. Barbadians across the globe are bursting with pride and I guess she's kissed and made up with us 'cause she sure gave us a warm shout out.:)

Let's recap her night in pictures...

Rihanna arrived at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles in a flirty, though complicated blue Zac Posen number.

People Magazine

Later that evening, she performed with Morris Day and the band The Time. Rihanna looked as though she were auditioning for a part in the local Bajan group the Grass Skirt Posse, but she somehow pulled it off.

Young, Black & Fabulous


People Magazine

Nominated for six Grammys, Rihanna did Barbados proud by winning one, and couldn't contain her own excitement. She and duet partner Jay-Z created one of the night's comedic moments during her acceptance speech. She wrangled a reluctant Jay-Z on to the stage to accept the award with her, and then he proceded to "interpret" everything she said. At least that's how it appeared to me. At one point she shooed him away from the microphone and he grinned, shrugged and let her carry on.

Young, Black & Fabulous

After the Grammy Awards, Rihanna passed through a few after-parties, including the Entertainment Weekly/Def Jam after-party.

People Magazine

She also hit up Universal Music's after party, where she hung out with her "best friend" Chris Brown. (I'm keeping an eye on these two)



Thankfully, she was not injured in the car accident that occured at the end of her night.

All in all, it was a very productive night for Rihanna. Congrats, girl!

UPDATE
Prime Minister David Thompson has hinted today that an official honour is in store for Rihanna so we'll wait and see. Of course I'll keep you up to date on that score.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Rihanna

Couldn’t get to bed, I wanted to see
Our Bajan girl when she won a Grammy
Nominated for six but one award is sufficient
Grammy Award, any, is the ultimate acknowledgement
Rihanna, I was there in spirit sitting with you
At every announced nomination, my heart jumped too
The excitement and anticipation overwhelmed me
Umbrella didn’t win Best Song, it wasn’t to be
Lots more disappointments jolted my apprehension
And finally an award for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration
This caused me to spring to my feet
I was in glee and your award was the sweetest sweet
Only to be trumped by your great attitude
Nothing was more admirable through the entire interlude
Such a natural flow, I was touched by your thank you
Responses you made were great for your Grammy debut
I played no part in your award but I felt like I did
How you love me Barbados, you said, my celebrity kid
And though there may be some dissention on my shores
None of this matters, the Grammy is yours
Now you have written your name in History
Awarded at the 50th Anniversary with a Grammy

A special Tribute to Robyn Rihanna Fenty
From: Barbados

See other POETRY ON RIHANNA here

Jdid said...

congrats to rihanna