Friday, January 12, 2007

The matter with Macy


I'm sure most of you by now would have heard about singer Macy Gray's 'blue notes' at the Barbados Jazz Fesival last night. The story even ended up on entertainment blogs around the world. I don't plan on rehashing what other people have said so far; the Market Vendor made enough good points this morning. I wasn't even going to comment on the matter at all, until I saw this comment in today's Nation Newspaper by the incensed producer of the Barbados Jazz FestivaL, Gilbert Rowe:
"This country stands for propriety, decency and adherence to the law. This community prides itself on being a Christian society and we do not take it lightly."
My heart burned a little when I read that statement, because I'm not so sure this is the case anymore in our country. I'm not going to list our societal ills, I'm not going to rant and rave. I'm just begging all of us to stop the hypocrisy and let's really examine ourselves. Have a good weekend, all!

No comments: